Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey (VIUS)
BTS is pleased to announce the return of VIUS after nearly 20 years
The VIUS has been the principal data source on the physical and operational characteristics of the United States truck population. Its primary goal is to gain an understanding nationally and statewide on how trucks are being utilized for various goods transport.
What is VIUS?
2021 VIUS Webinar
Below are the slides and the recording from the April 20, 2021 webinar: An overview and Q&A on the restored VIUS questionnaires.
The 2021 VIUS
An updated VIUS will be conducted in 2022 to obtain data on vehicle activity for calendar year 2021. Results are planned for release in 2023. As in past editions, the VIUS will cover vehicles from all sectors of the economy and from households. VIUS ‘21 is being sponsored by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the Federal Highway Administration, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the Census Bureau.
The Census Bureau will collect data from a sample of 150,000 heavy trucks, light trucks, pickups, vans, minivans, and SUVs owned by businesses and households, covering variables such as:
- Miles traveled and fuel economy by weight, type, configuration, and age of vehicle
- Axle configurations, trailers hauled, and operating weight
- Equipment added after manufacture of the chassis
- Business versus personal use and types of economic activity served
- Commodities carried
Current VIUS estimates are of critical importance to federal agencies, state departments of transportation, metropolitan planning organizations, and businesses. Results from the 2021 survey will provide statistics for:
- Vehicle size and weight studies
- Tracking the deployment of driver-assistance technology
- Input to freight demand models and air quality models
- Role of motor vehicles in the economy
- Fuel efficiency of the Nation's truck fleet
- Analyses of fees and allocation of cost among highway users
- Highway traveler exposure to potential safety risks
2021 VIUS Milestones
Below is a tentative schedule of the major milestones for this survey:
|Mini Pilot Study||January - March, 2021|
|Full Survey||February - October, 2022|
|Data Release||Fall 2023|