February 2022 U.S. Airline Traffic Data
U.S. airlines carried 66.2 million systemwide (domestic and international) scheduled service passengers in February 2022, seasonally-adjusted, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics’ (BTS), up 9.2% from January.
BTS reported 59.3 million domestic passengers and 6.9 million international passengers on U.S. airlines flights in February.
U.S. airline traffic reports are filed monthly with BTS. See the tables that accompany this release on the BTS website for summary data since 2016 (Tables 1-24) and complete data since 2000.
Two measures of U.S. airlines passenger enplanements
February seasonally adjusted
- System-wide enplanements (66.2M) were down 17.7% from the all-time high of 80.4 million reached in January 2020.
- Domestic enplanements (59.3M) were down 16.2% from the all-time high of 70.75 million reached in January 2020.
- International enplanements (6.89M) were down 29.2% from the all-time high of 9.73 million reached in August 2019.
- Systemwide enplanements (54.8M) were down 19.2% from the all-time February high (67.8M) reached in 2020.
- Domestic enplanements (49.1M) were down 18.0% from the all-time February high (59.9M) reached in 2020.
- International enplanements (5.73M) were down 28.1% from the all-time February high (8.0M) reached in 2020.
Table A. Seasonally Adjusted Passenger Enplanements Compared to Previous Time Periods
|Percent Change Compared to|
|Seasonally Adjusted||Passengers (in millions)||Previous Month||Previous Year||Three Years|
Table B. Unadjusted Passenger Enplanements Compared to Previous Time Periods
|Percent Change Compared to|
|Unadjusted||Passengers (in millions)||Previous Year||Two Years Previous||Three Years Previous|
For data filed through February, see accompanying tables. For the complete database of reported data, see Traffic. For an explanation of BTS’ seasonal adjustment methodology, see Seasonal Adjustment.
Data are compiled from monthly reports filed with BTS by commercial U.S. air carriers detailing operations, passenger traffic and freight traffic. This release includes data received by BTS from 69 U.S. carriers as of May 4 for U.S. carrier scheduled civilian operations.
See the BTS Airlines and Airports page for additional scheduled service numbers through February for U.S. airlines. International data by origin and destination is available through November. International totals in this press release consist of all U.S. carrier operations to and from the U.S. and from one foreign point to another foreign point. BTS’ Airlines and Airports page does not include U.S. carriers’ foreign point-to-point flights.
BTS has scheduled June 9, 2022, for the release of data through March.
None of the data are from samples. Measures of statistical significance do not apply to the complete air traffic data.