Freight Analysis Framework
About the Freight Analysis Framework
The Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) creates a comprehensive picture of freight movement among states and major metropolitan areas by all modes of transportation. The FAF integrates data from a variety of sources. Starting with data from the Commodity Flow Survey (CFS) and international trade data from the Census Bureau, FAF incorporates data from agriculture, extraction, utility, construction, service, and other sectors. The FAF is produced through a partnership between BTS and FHWA.
FAF Version 5
The FAF5 Regional Database of tonnage, value, and ton-miles by FAF regions of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode, benchmarked to the 2017 Commodity Flow Survey is available. Weights are in thousands of tons, activity is in millions of ton-miles, and values are in millions of 2017 constant dollars. Files listed below are available for download in .csv and MS Access formats.
Update -New Version 5.3.- The new version of the Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) has elevated to include information on:
- Ton-mile & distance estimates.
- Annual estimates (2018–2019).
- Truck network assignment.
The release of FAF 5.3 data product continues to integrate data sources for the benefit of a comprehensive picture of freight information among the States and major metropolitan areas.
- Use the FAF5 Data Tabulation Tool
- FAF5.3 Regional Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (mid-range estimates only): FAF5.3_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 Regional Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (including high and low estimates): FAF5.3_HiLoForecasts_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_HiLoForecasts.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 Regional Database for 2018-2019: FAF5.3_2018-2019_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_2018-2019.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 State Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (mid-range estimates only): FAF5.3_State_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_State.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 State Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (including high and low estimates): FAF5.3_State_HiLoForecasts_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_State_HiLoForecasts_.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 State Database for 2018-2019: FAF5.3_State_2018-2019_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_State_2018-2019.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.3 Reprocessed State Level Annual Data for 1997-2012: FAF5.3_Reprocessed_1997-2012_State_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.3_Reprocessed_1997-2012_State.zip (.csv)
FAF5 Network Data
Summary Statistics and Products
- FAF5 User Guide
- FAF5 Data Tabulation Tool: Getting Started Guide
- FAF5 Base Year Data Development: Methodology Report
- FAF5 Frequently Asked Questions
- CFS Area Code - FAF5 Region Id (lookup table)
- 2017 Commodity Flow Survey Geography
Information on FAF1, FAF2, and FAF3 is available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org.